Ministries and Focus Groups
The following classes are available for furthering your understanding of Orthodoxy. Please note that You do not have to be an Orthodox Christian to receive ministry or attend focus groups at St. Sophia.
- Bible Study: Tuesdays at 10 am in administration bldg
- Spiritual Awakenings Discussion Group: readings in Orthodox spirituality, Thursdays at 7 pm in the Mangos Hall.
- Rachel's Children: Grief and Loss support group, Tuesdays at 7 pm in Mangos Hall (please call to be sure of meeting times). Especially for parents who have lost infants or older children, but anyone who has lost a friend or family member is welcome to attend.
- Hospital, Hospice and Nursing/Retirement Home visitation, call 210-788-8797.
- Introduction to Orthodox Christianity Saturdays at 4:30 pm.
- Modern Greek School (Elliniko Scholio). The purpose of the Greek school at Saint Sophia is to learn the basics of Greek language and to communicate in Greek, while developing and cultivating awareness of the Hellenic culture and heritage in an Orthodox Christian envioronment. The school meets at the church grounds immediately after Liturgy on Sundays from September until June of each calendar year. There are classes for beginners, intermediate and advanced level. For more information and to register, please contact professor Sotiri Stathaki at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Polycarp the Holy Martyr & Bishop of Smyrna; Proterios, Archbishop of Alexandria; Gorgonia the Righteous, sister of Gregory the Theologian; Damian the New Martyr of Mount Athos; Boswell, Abbot of Melrose Abbey